What is “Write Protection”?
Nowadays, many storage devices, such as flash drive, USB drive, pen drive, SD card, CF card, memory stick, are adopted the write protection function that can protect your drive or memory card data from any unexpected change (such as copying, pasting, deleting or cutting), except reading. So, at this point, it is a good property.
However, oppositely, as you have to copy, transfer or write any data, it naturally becomes an obstacle of farther operation, especially for some computer beginner. Therefore, today, we will talk about how to remove write protection for you.
The situations of different users：
Situation1. How can I remove the write protection on my USB flash drive?
Situation2. As I attempt to copy some photos from the external hard drive to computer, I receive an error message saying: “This Disk is write-protected. Remove the write protection or use another disk…” How could I remove it?
Situation3. I cannot format my SD card since it is write-protected. What should I do to disable it？
How to Remove Write Protection from a Drive or Memory Card?
<1>. Remove it by sliding the switch on the one side of a drive or memory card.
Fortunately, if you find such a thoughtful switch, you could freely slide it to lock or unlock the write protection.
However, if you don’t find such a switch, don’t worry!
Read the next way.
<2>. Remove it by plunging the drive or memory card to a computer.
1. Plunge the drive or memory card to a computer. (Of course, you should use a card Reader to connect your memory card.)
2. Click “Start” on the taskbar to open “Run” and type in “regedit”.
3. Hit “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” to expand “System”.
4. Find “Current Control Set” in “System” list to click “Control”.
5. Check whether there is a key named “Storage Device Policies” to change the digit in the “DWORD value” box into “0″ and press “OK”.
But, if you cannot find the key named “Storage Device Policies”, you are supposed to create a one: right click “Control” to create a new key and name it as “Storage Device Policies”=> right click this new key to highlight “DWORD Value” and name it as “write protect”=> Double click this “write protect” box to change the number.
<3>. Remove it by trying some special software.
There are many related special software out there. You should make your decision carefully.
“Read-only” & “Write Protection”
As to a “read only” drive or memory card, “read only” is absolutely another description for people to deliver the same meaning of “write protection”, especially for some computer beginner.
Therefore, in this situation, we could cope with the “read only” problem in the same way as the “write protection” problem.
However, as to a “read only” file or folder on your drive or memory card, the “read only” is quite different from “write protection” in some degree. It is only one of the file or folder attributes, not the whole drive or memory card attributes. Namely, we still could do some changes to the rest files or folders on our drive or memory card after part of files or folders become “read only”. However, we cannot do it to the write protected drive or memory card. That’s the difference.
Therefore, in this case, we could simply remove the “read only” like this:
Right click the file or folder to hit “Properties” and remove the sign in front of “Read only” attributes in “Properties” box.
Other Related Links for You:
- How to Format Write Protected Memory Card in Digital Camera？ My 4GB memory card cannot be formatted in any system since it is write protected. How could I resolve this...
- remove usb flash drive write protection How to remove usb flash drives’ write-protection? U disk is short for “USB flash disk”. It’s a kind of miniature,...
- How to choose a memory card Memory Card, as we know is a small device that can store digital information used on your cellphone, digital camera,...
- Repair Memory Card Fix Damaged Memory Card How would we know that the memory card has been damaged or broken? Here are some...
- 15% Off AppleXsoft SD Card Recovery for Mac Coupon Code Official Exclusive Interested in AppleXsoft SD Card Recovery for Mac Coupon? Get 15% Off AppleXsoft SD Card Recovery for Mac Coupon Code here...
- 15% Off AppleXsoft SD Card Recovery for Windows Coupon Code Official Exclusive Interested in AppleXsoft SD Card Recovery for Windows Coupon? Get 15% Off AppleXsoft SD Card Recovery for Windows Coupon Code here The...
- Format Recovery without Losing Files Question: Is it possible to format hard drive without losing data? Users who might run into such question: sd card...
- How to Share Some Folders on the Drive? I have a Virtual Hard Disk on my laptop so that I can share some folders on my drive with...